Well, we all know that Mark is my favorite protagonist...then Karrie, but I've done posts on both of them in the past, so I'll just choose another protagonist that I love. And that would be...
River Davies.
Her story hasn't been finished yet...and needs a new title...but I suppose it won't hurt to talk about her.She is nineteen years old and in her second year of college. River's mother had married and become pregnant with a boy...then her husband died and she was left alone to raise her son, Storm. A year later, she married again, to Mr. Davies. And soon they had a baby girl...River. Mrs. Davies died when River was only thirteen years old, and she and her brother were raised mainly by their father. River and Storm are very close, though they do not look anything like each other. Storm looks like his own father with dark hair and eyes. Meanwhile, River looks like her father with her blond hair and blue eyes.
River grew up to a young woman with a quiet and rather serious nature. She has an enormous chip on her shoulder, blocking out everyone but her father and brother from her life. She feels no need to make friends or accept anyone else into their little circle.
Her personal bubble is jolted quite suddenly with the appearance of her brother's best friend, Logan, who comes to stay with the family until he can find his own apartment. Logan is the opposite of River in every way...extrovert, friendly, joking, easy-going compared to her introvert, silent, unexcitable, and hard-to-read nature. She resents his presence and argues with him constantly.
Her father is wrapped up in his work and is suddenly called away on a business trip out of the country. It is while he's gone that her brother, Storm, goes missing. He has vanished into thin air. And if that wasn't suspicious enough, someone has broken into their house, evidently searching for something. As suspicious and unrelenting as ever, River refuses to go to the police...not trusting them to find her brother. Instead, she goes off on her own to find him...Logan tagging along behind (to River's GREAT annoyance).
So to sum River up: she is an obnoxious, uptight, non-fun-loving, resentful sort of gal, who doesn't trust anybody and wants to be in control of her own life. At the same time...deep down, she wants to be a different person, wants to change, and hates feeling so angry all the time. She knows it stems from something traumatic from when she was younger. She just doesn't know how to deal with it. Nor with the thing that she struggles with the most.
Doesn't sound like a lovable character does she? I suppose she isn't in some ways...but I am finding her absolutely fascinating to write about. I rarely write about a protagonist who is so angry and introverted...it's an interesting change. :D Which is why I love her.
Mmm, I was thinking while reading this post that this is possibly the first introvert I have known you to write about. :D I think it will be interesting to read your story. :D
ReplyDelete