Pages

Monday, December 31, 2012


Details. 

I have a problem with anxiety...where I stress out so much that I literally 
cannot think straight sometimes. That my mind will just not focus. 
My mind will fly a million miles a  minute, never actually settling on one thing or object...
just bouncing from general idea to general idea. 
It's like being high on caffeine and talking fast. 
First you're talking about how much you love dolphins, the next how you 
NEED a notebook, and a cookie, and how lambs are fluffy, and
monkey-monkey underpants. 

To continue to quote the everwise Lorelai Gilmore:
"Focus, please."
"I am a camera."

Someone wise told me to focus on details. Especially when I'm stressed.
By zoning in on one particular object, I will be calming my mind. 
Instead of my mind racing a million miles a minute, it is 
being forced to slow down to just one mile a minute. 

Notice the details. 

This is how our world works, isn't it? We race through, a million miles a minute. 
We never see the details. 
We constantly force our minds to zoom about, and there's always SOMETHING
to see. 
Our mind doesn't know how to stop on its own. There's something on the right
something on the left. 
But what about the details? 

Details like, the lines in your skin. 
The chipped nail polish on my fingers. 
The drops of water on the inside of a water bottle. 
Icicles hanging from the roof. 
The sound of your best friend laughing. 

I have a board on Pinterest labeled: Magical
It's for anything that seems magical to me. And most of the time, it's little things. 
Like the picture of a baby laughing. 
A photo of a marine father holding his baby. 
Dishes in soapy water. 
Yarn wrapped in a ball. 
The tattered spines of old books. 
Coffee being poured into a cup. 

It's all magical, and it's all little details that we never notice because our mind
is much too busy to stop and notice. 
Maybe if we did stop to notice the details more often, we wouldn't be as 
stressed. 

Happy New Year's Eve and may 2013 be magical. 

No comments:

Post a Comment