Pages

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Bub or The Very Best Thing by Natalie Babbitt

As a part-time employee in the children's room at my local library, I am always running across all these great children's books. I cannot begin to say how much I LOVE children's pictures books. They are pure awesomeness.

And "Bub" by Natalie Babbitt is one of my favorites. It's not my most favorite children's book, but it is an adorable story with adorable illustrations.

The King and Queen disagree about the best way to raise their darling Prince son. The King thinks that toys will make the Prince turn out soft and silly, while the Queen thinks that too many lessons will make him dry and dusty. What they do agree on is that they want the very best for him. But what IS the very best thing for him? They set out to discover, each in their own way, the answer to the puzzling question. The King goes to look for the answer in his books, while the Queen walks around the castle asking each person she bumps into what they think. Is it really vegetables and plenty of sleep like the nurses say? Or songs like the Court Musician recommends? When the kitchen maid suggests they simply ask the Prince what the best thing they can give him is...His answer is "Bub". But what exactly does "Bub" mean?

As I said, "Bub" is an adorable story...the illustrations are colorful and bright and beautiful. It is one that I have since added to my own, personal library.

1 comment:

  1. Aww, that sounds SO. Cute.

    :) I adore picture books too, and this one looks like it has some really good illustrations.

    ReplyDelete