This includes:
reading. I still have a stack of about a dozen books that are waiting to be read before the school semester. Can I finish them all? I highly doubt it, but I'm working on trying. :D There's nothing so lovely as a stack of interesting books and digging your way through them. There's something ultimately satisfying about finishing a book, even along with the bittersweet sense of disappointment that it's over.
writing. Letters mostly, but also some journaling. No fiction writing this summer, I'm sorry to say. The urge hasn't been that strong. There's still something nice about taking my pen and black journal and just writing whatever the heck I feel like. Even though it's all jumbled and random, it's mine. It's all my words and it's enough for me to understand...to actually take my old journals, flip through them and experience all those old emotions again, experience those memories again. Journals are powerful things...they're a piece of your history, a piece of you. Just my journal from two years ago amazes me...a lot has changed since then. It times it feels like only yesterday, but a lot of the time it feels like ages ago. Flipping through my teen journals, I seemed only to write when I was upset or mad. ;) We're workin on that not being the case today, because I don't want the only memories in these books to be unhappy ones. Life is not all bad. There's plenty of happiness to remember too.
music. A combination of discovering new music that I can fall in love with and playing piano. Music has always been important in my life. There's this saying out there about wishing life had a soundtrack. My life does have a soundtrack. There has not been a time in my life when I haven't listened to music. I go through stages of music...I'll find a couple artists I love and listen to them over and over for a long period of time. And somehow their music becomes my life soundtrack. I cannot remember my first semester of school without thinking of Downhere or Switchfoot, because they were there the entire semester. They're a part of that memory now. Just as Until June will forever be my graduation/senior year of highschool soundtrack. :)
movies. I'm a movie nut. And once school starts, I'll have less time to keep up with my favorite tv shows or to watch the movies I want to watch. So now, as I work on projects, I watch a movie/tv show. I'm currently working through BBC's "Robin Hood". It brings back PLENTY of memories with it, and while now I'm finding it cheesier than ever and even roll my eyes at the patheticness of some of the acting and storylines, I also can't help still loving it. Partially because I LOVED it so much a few years ago, but also because it's dang cute. ;) Marian is still my hero as much as ever. In a world where heroines are never far from the hero's side, relying on guys to help them out, it's nice to view heroines who really can work on their own and kick butt. Marian, Katniss, Hermione, Black Widow...these are the type of movie heroines I admire. Women who don't find their self-worth through a guy. (Unlike a certain Bella Swan...)
knitting. I have been on a knitting kick lately. And it feels amazing to get back into it. No matter how long I go without knitting, it remains a skill I can pick up so naturally. And I'm not gonna lie...it's good to be good at something. ;) Plus there's something therapeutic about needles clicking against each other, yarn running through your fingers, and observing a project coming together. I'm currently working on a sweater for myself. A week of work and I'm already halfway done. Yay me! We'll see if it actually fits me this time...
I'm spending my summer, trying to fill it with good memories...girls' nights with my two best friends, coffee galore, flip-flops, shorts, running, movies, giggles with Juji, movies with friends, knitting...
So as much as I am looking forward to fall in some ways, I am also not quite ready to give up summer. Cuz summer = love.


No comments:
Post a Comment