Running. I just got back from a run just 10 minutes ago...I'm still a sweaty, sticky (and yes, stinky) mess, ear buds still plugged in (I've turned the music off though...running music, now there's a whole other blog post...)...
I just started running...erm...*checks running schedule* 6 weeks ago. Technically it was 7 weeks ago, but I took a week off when I was sick.
I'm still at that stage where it's painful enough for me to dislike doing it, but it's become part of my normal life now that I just roll out of bed at 6:50 without wasting the energy to grumble. (Besides, there's no one to listen to me grumble except myself...) I'm out the door at 7:00, set my timer, turn up my music, walk 5 minutes, then start my run.
There's more to running than I ever knew before I started. Controlling breathing, keeping pace, don't land on toes or heels, posture (don't slouch), letyourshouldersfreakinrelaxsam!, but above all: positive thinking. I've noticed, on the days where I'm running in a grouchy mood I run slower, shorter distances/stop before my time for the day is up. To stop myself from doing that, I have to force myself to sing along to my music inside my head. (And I'm tellin ya, that's NOT easy when trying to concentrate on breathing right!)
The bummers to running:
- Okay, Mr. Gray Truck, if you pass me a third time I WILL get out defensive-mode-Sam. She has a mean glare and an emergency dial on her phone, which also acts as her stopwatch.
- The pain. Side cramp if my breathing gets off, ankles that ache, and shoulders that KILL. Gah, too much tension.
- Being woken by an alarm. Worst thing on the planet. >__<
But the perks:
- It's healthy.
- It's improved my appetite MASSIVELY. (I've actually gained some weight!)
- My legs feel stronger.
- Each week I run longer and the tiniest-taddest bit faster.
- Teaching me self-esteem/confidence.
It doesn't matter that I wasn't able to run the last stretch today. The fact that I get out of bed 3 days a week, motivate myself to go running, actually stick to the schedule, push myself...that's worth it. This whole running thing...it's not something I have to be good at. I know I have a tendency to try to be A+ at everything I do. And if I don't ace it, I feel like I've failed. This whole running thing is not about that. For once, this is about me just trying to be healthy and trying to get to a point where I enjoy it. It's about feeling good about myself. Thinking positive thoughts about myself. It doesn't matter that I can't run 2 miles yet. I'm out there, I'm doing this by myself with no pressure or encouragement or motivating speeches from anyone but ME. It's not about feeling pretty or strong, necessarily. It's just about being myself...20 minutes of running just me and my mind. Running teaches me discipline, commitment, and self-esteem.
And ya know what? I will get to a point where I can run 2 miles without stopping. :P Someday. Soon, actually. ;) This gal who's always hated exercising and mornings and alarm clocks is makin progress.

Wow, I admire you for getting up at 6:50... that's crazy, girl! You don't sound like a morning person, which is why I admire you all the more xD I have never been able to get myself up early to run, I can barely put one foot in front of the other and everything is off for me so I usually go in the late afternoon/evening (can be soo hot though).
ReplyDeleteUgh I hate running. I mean, I love it, but I hate it. My body hates it. My sports induced asthma kicks in, my shin splints remind me they're there, my..um...chest...doesn't stay in one place. Because of the asthma I get cramps. I hate it. But I love it for all the same reasons you do. I just wish those reasons overpowered the hate. I also haven't had the discipline to do it (I'm writing this at 11:40pm and I know I will be up between 6 and 7 to feed the baby and that's not enough sleep, yet I know it's not and I still stay up - to read your blog!)., Though I am thinking that since I got my new and perfectly fitting sports bra I want to start jump roping in the mornings. I think my body will like that better and will be more fun. There's a lot more I can do with that to keep me from getting bored. Oh, that's another reason I don't go running. Boredom. Unless it's on forest trails. Then it's fun. Man, I should make this comment a post on my blog! But then you won't read it 'cause you already read it here....
ReplyDeleteAnyway, my whole point to that long long comment was to tell you that I admire you and your dedication! Please move closer to me so I have motivation help? We could be neighbors and always go running/jump roping together. Good plan, eh?