
3. How do you come up with names, for characters (and for places if you’re writing about fictional places)?
Well, generally, I keep a list of names that I love or think are interesting, so when I'm coming up with a new plot, I'll scan my list to see if there are any that I think will fit. Sometimes, I'll just sit and write down the first names that pop into my head and then pick the one that fits the best.
In rare moments of desperation, I'll go to the bookshelf and read off the names of authors and illustrators...but that's mostly for last names. I never find it too difficult to name my characters.
Teagan Harper, my newest character, was extremely easy to name. As soon as I thought up the character I knew she had to have a different sort of name...no Brittany, Ashley, Amanda, or such for me! It was a tie between Teagan or Darcy...I finally decided on Teagan, with Darcy for her best friend.
So, when it comes to naming characters I never get writer's block. ;) I love names to death. :D
Naming the characters may be the funnest part of writing a story. Something weird that tends to happen to me is my characters will end up having names that I'm not particularly fond of. :P I DO love Audrey Simmons' name though. :D
ReplyDeleteOh, I actually have been realizing lately that Darcy is a pretty cool name. :D
Yay! A comment! I was feeling like no one ever read this blog but me. lol.
ReplyDeleteAnywho, yes, naming the characters is an absolutely fun part of writing a story! :D I wouldn't say THE funnest part, but it's definitely one of the highlights. :D
And Audrey Simmon's is a fabulous name!
Isn't it a cool name? :D