I am a photographer, for those of you who didn't know. A portrait/family/engagement photographer. That is the extent of my photography business so far. Just friends and family. One day it will branch out.
My absolute favorite kind of shoot is an engagement. Nothing beats the sweetness and happiness that show through the photos from an engagement. (Perhaps a wedding does, but as I have yet to shoot a wedding, we'll ignore that and stick to saying engagements are best.)
I am going to shoot an engagement today, and here I am, getting excited as I plan the shoot.
What exactly goes into my planning? What is it that I, as a amateur photographer, do to prepare for such a shoot?
I am low on equipment, so you'll have to just grimace along with me as I list them:
18-55mm lense
55-180?mm lense
Tripod
Reflector
Good ol' Booth.
Yes. The equipment factor is a sad one, indeed. I am but a poor, humble photography student, though, who must make do with what she's got.
Other things I bring along on a shoot:
-An umbrella (for bouncing light as well as shading...a black umbrella is ideal for shading)
-Towels for clients to sit upon instead of the cold, wet ground (fold it in such a way and shoot at such an angle that you do not get it in the photograph. It takes an art. *wink*)
-Bottled water...gotta keep the clients hydrated. Yes, yes, I generally only shoot an hour's time, but still...it's a nice to be considerate to one's client. Shoots can make them nervous.
-Release forms. (Do NOT forget your release forms. I repeat. Do NOT forget release forms. And do NOT forget to have the clients sign them BEFORE the shoot begins. Otherwise, you will not own a SINGLE photograph you take, and thus lose any privileges that come with them, such as posting on your website.)
-Notebook and pen. I like to keep a list of possible shot ideas with me at every shoot. I do not stick to it...they are not laid down MUSTS. They are simply ideas. I generally look my list over just before the shoot, and go from there. I am also very open to ideas from my clients. I make it a priority to ask them if there are any poses they'd like. For the most part, they allow me to direct them as I will, but occasionally there are some poses clients will ask to be shot.
- Tissues. Some fiancees may get weepy...I have yet to experience this. :P I bring the tissues along for any windy day shoots. Wind = wet eyes.
- Blanket. You never know when it'll come in handy.
- Step-stool. I may be tall, but not as tall as some of those 6' tall fiance's!
- Of course the necessities like: extra memory card, extra battery.
- An assistant. I never like to go on any shoot without an assistant. Even if it be just a sibling to stand there, holding my equipment, and helping me tote stuff. Generally, though, my mom is my assistant/2nd photographer. A 2nd photographer is great. If you don't get the shot the way you wanted it to come out, chances are that your 2nd photographer may have.
Did I forget anything? That's always something at the back of my mind as I go on a shoot, but my chances are that I won't remember whatever it was that I forgot, until I get to location. And by then, what's the use of crying over it? So long as I have my necessities, then I'm good to go.
And best thing of all, I bring: enthusiasm. I love what I do and I'm going to put that love into what I do.
No comments:
Post a Comment