Pages

Friday, January 30, 2015

Drowning

I wrote this...maybe a year(?), two years(?) ago, and never dared post it until now. I do so now for a friend who is being pressured and guilted because of her depression. You know who you are. This is for you. Know that your feelings are valid, your struggles are real, and you aren't the only one punished for things beyond your control by the people, Christians, who should be most forgiving, most loving, and most kind. 




Drowning


Christians have a funny way of looking at depression. Somehow, even without being directly taught to view depression as wrong, it was ingrained in me to refuse to even contemplate the idea that I was depressed. I refused to admit I had a problem. I wouldn’t even listen to the idea of seeing a counselor. It would be admitting that things weren’t good, that Jesus wasn’t fulfilling me. Worst of all, it would signify that I needed help. And we did not accept help from others. Why would we need help if we had Jesus?

People could see some of the physical results of my depression. I lost more than twenty pounds in less than two months. I tried on the bridesmaid dress for my sister’s wedding before I purchased it. I tried it on when it came in. I tried it on two weeks before the wedding. Those mere two weeks later, the dress did not fit. People commented on my appearance all the time. I shrank because I did not eat. I was so gaunt in the face that I remember the first time it hit me when I looked into a mirror. I was shocked. I looked pathetic. The dark circles under my eyes could not be covered by makeup. I slept four hours a night if I was lucky, and most nights I wasn’t. I suffered attack after attack of migraines, bedridden because I couldn’t move without wanting to be sick. People could see my life wasn’t great.

What people didn’t see was the mental agony I was in. They never knew that I couldn’t sleep because of graphic dreams of killing and blood and death. I would wake up sweating, shaking, crying. They never knew how often I would sit out on the porch roof outside my bedroom window, even in the rain, wishing I could just jump. They never knew that I would sit in the bathroom late at night, clutching my head because I couldn’t handle the screaming I heard every night; the screaming I could never actually verbalize. They never saw me pounding the floor, telling God, “I hate you.” They never saw me standing in front of the medicine cabinet, wishing I could swallow every pill until I never woke up. They never knew the numbness of just not caring.

I wished everyone would just stop caring about me, so that I could die. I didn’t want to die because I felt alone. I knew people loved me. But I didn’t love me. I didn’t love life. I wanted people to stop caring so that I could die without the burden of causing the kind of grief I was going through. I wanted to be a friendless and family-less girl so that I could just find an end to it all. I was awake when I didn’t want to be.

I am supposed to be the strong girl. I am the girl people credit for pushing on when I face the odds. For pushing for a good life when I am in opposition from others. I am supposed to be the strong one; the one who stands up and says what’s hard to say. I am supposed to be the girl who is blunt and speaks her mind when she feels passionate about something. I am not the popular girl who is sunshiney and makes lives better. I am the girl who speaks when she’s displeased or pleased. I am the girl who is hard to read. I am the girl who is sarcastic and bitter. I am the girl who empathizes. I am the girl who is angry. I am the girl who is driven and stubborn and determined. I am the girl who jumped out of a plane. I am supposed to be the strong one.


I am not strong. Being a perfectionist is not strong. Sitting in your car or in the corner at work trying to remember to breathe through panic attacks is not strong. Surges of anxiety at the thought of being enclosed in small spaces with people is not strong. Crying because you think no one could like you is not strong. The inability to believe you are worthy is not strong. Believing people when they say you could never be kind to a future husband is not strong. Hating yourself is not strong. Discrediting your abilities is not strong.


This is what depression does to me. Depression makes me weak. It makes it hard for me to function, to breathe, to live. It drains me of independence, motivation, self-love, kindness, patience, energy. It leaves me angry, sad, bitter, self-hating, listless, exhausted, and sometimes, worst of all, it leaves me empty.

Christians believe in faking it til you make it. Smile because the only emotion we should have is happiness in our Savior. Christians believe depression is a sin because it means a lack of trust in God. Christians believe depression is a result of a sinful life. Christians believe that anyone who admits depression is giving in to “labels”.

I see Christians judge the depressed. I hear them say, “If you’d only trust God,” “You need to stop being so selfish,” “Stop labeling yourself,” “Clean your life of your filthy sin,” “Fake it til you make it,” “Smile because of God’s grace…”

Stop. Just stop.

I am here to deny and reject your shit, your mindless, heartless drivel. Maybe it’s not your fault. You don’t know what it’s like. You see the negativity that depression may do to my physical body, but you cannot see the mental torture and scars I carry. How can you understand what you cannot see, what you do not feel? Stop telling me I am strong in Jesus, stop telling me I am sinful, stop telling me to smile, stop telling me I am strong.

I am not strong. I am broken. My life is shit. And your Christian answer to my shitty life by guilting me is breaking me even more. It’s okay, Christians, you don’t have to hate on me. I do that enough for myself. I am drowning as you look on in your oxygen-filled world. If by admitting this, I am no longer welcome in heaven, or your home; if I am struck by lightning for not smiling, so be it. If this makes me a part of the earthly world and not the spiritual, so be it. At least, I am given a bit more oxygen in this earthly world. They, at least, admit the first step to fixing a problem is not smiling, hating yourself, guilt, lies, sin nature, or blind faith in God. It’s admitting there is a problem.

Christians, I am drowning. Stop pushing me under while I try to resurface.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this. I know/have experienced exactly what you have said. It was really hard to admit I was depressed and I originally refused help...until the day came when I was in the Drs office for an emotional checkup (I was supposed to be on a small dosage of medication for 2 months by then but refused) and when the Dr walked into the room, I broke down crying. It's still hard to admit I struggled with it - and although currently I am not, there is always a fear that it will creep up on me.
    If you need anything, know you are not alone and that I have a listening ear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Caitlin! I know that feeling of fear that it will creep back up on you. I really appreciate you being there! And I hope I can do the same for you, should you ever need a listening ear as well!

      Delete
  2. Sam, thank-you for your honesty. I personally have never been seriously depressed, but people close to me have had serious depression and it seems like one of the worst things in the world. I'm sorry that you had to go through so much pain.
    It also makes me sad that this paragraph was true in your experience:

    "Christians believe in faking it til you make it. Smile because the only emotion we should have is happiness in our Savior. Christians believe depression is a sin because it means a lack of trust in God. Christians believe depression is a result of a sinful life. Christians believe that anyone who admits depression is giving in to “labels”."

    I hope you don't believe that describes all Christians. It certainly doesn't describe most Christians I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah,

      What is one person's experience will not be the same for another person, even if the circumstances were the same. My circumstances differed from yours, and the way Christians responded to my depression will differ from how they respond to your depression-free life. The circumstances, the personalities, the issues, and the people involved make the situation what it is.

      Delete
  3. Hey Sam,
    Oh yeah, I understand that the way people respond to people's circumstances really vary.
    I guess I misunderstood what you said in that paragraph: I thought you were saying those things(faking it, saying depression is a sin, lack of trust in God, etc.)were facts about ALL Christians, but I guess you just meant Christians in your experience. Please correct me if I'm wrong. :)
    Is just makes me sad that people who call themselves Christians act the way they did to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah,

      It is not an uncommon belief for Christians to hold, that depression is not a valid state of mind for any "believer". You can find articles about the selfishness of it all, and that the way to overcome depression is to focus on Jesus. I have received these articles a dozen-fold from "Christians". I have received texts, private messages, emails, and even phone calls from "Christians" telling me how to Christianize my depression. I have seen friends receive the same treatment. This is NOT uncommon in the Christian circles.

      Are there exceptions? Am I going to be foolish enough to state that EVERY Christian behaves this way? Of course not. But there is a vast majority who DO believe this and react like this. Often times I'd say that Christians do not even realize that they are treating depression this way...they may accept the belief that depression is a valid disease and does need to be treated. However, their method of "sympathy" is to share Bible verses, advise you to pray more, push you to believe that God will heal you if only you read your Bible more. It is not helpful. I don't know how many messages I received from "friends" that held something along the lines of, "I'm sorry to hear you're not doing well. :inserts Bible verses: "

      The point of this post is to make clear that depression does not have a Christianized answer. It is not just easily resolved by having people "focus on Jesus". Anyone who has suffered depression will be able to tell you just how hard it is to focus on anything. And sometimes, while yes the root of the depression may be spiritual issues, a lot of the time, it really isn't about spirituality. Sometimes it is a reaction to a totally different issue. This post addresses this large number of Christians who view and talk about depression this way. Like I said, yes, there will be exceptions, but this is not an uncommon experience that has only happened to me. It happens to others and it happens OFTEN.

      I'm sorry if you feel this attacks Christians, but to be honest, the one reaction from Christians is merely defensiveness when it comes to this issue. And that is why I am most blunt about this topic. Unless someone has truly experienced the depth and tragedy of depression, they really are not the best people to prescribe how to deal with it, nor are they the ones who get to dismiss a person's feelings, just because they do not like that someone who is depressed is not spiritually healthy.

      Delete