We had our first blizzard of the season...here I am, sitting in the comfort of a blanket on the recliner...I already braved the out doors to walk down to work and back home again. The wind is pretty harsh, and sneakers aren't the greatest things to walk in through the snow, but oh, well. :P
As you all (or at least, the majority of you, I believe) know, I work in the children's room at my local library. This week, the children's room is closed to get a new carpet put in, as well as have the walls painted. Today my brother (who also works at the library) and I trudged our way down the street to the library to help with moving. Everything had to be taken out...tables, chairs, desks, books, bookshelves, displays, etc. It took some time to empty each bookcase, cart the bookshelves down the hall to the Activities Room, then replace the books on the bookshelves, where they shall remain until the carpet is down...then there'll be the whole process of moving everything back into the children's room AND organizing it all! :P
Once everything had been moved out, up came the carpet that was already in the room...and that was a job in itself...It's a large room, so the carpet was really 3? 4? large pieces that had been glued? together...they had to be pulled up, pulled apart, then each rolled. Then came the matting that was underneath the carpet that had to be rolled as well. After that was accomplished, everyone left except for my boss, her daughter, my bro, and I...we stayed long enough to sweep up the mess, and wait for a guy who was coming to take two big pieces of the carpet.
Then, after four hours, Jon and I trudged back home...tired, dirty, and huuuungry. :P
At the moment, I'm listening to music while I type up this blogpost...just long enough to stretch the fingers in my left hand out, as they got all cramped from knitting for a good hour or so.
What am I listening to? Boyce Avenue's cover of "Teenage Dream", which I greatly prefer to Katy Perry's version. As several of you know, I feel pretty strongly about Katy Perry's version...it disgusts me, to put it bluntly. But when I heard Boyce Avenue's version, I had to smile...Boyce Avenue took a song that disgusted me and made me love it with the very few changes they made. :)
I've been watching "Little Dorrit" lately...just whenever I've been working on my sweater. I'm one of those people who hates watching a movie without having something to do with my hands, or working on a mindless project without busying my mind as well. Thus: knitting and movies or audio books go hand in hand. :P
Anywho, watching "Little Dorrit" just reminded me how highly I think of the heroine, Amy (aka "Little Dorrit"). A gentle, sweet, yet firm personality that sees the good in others and bears the annoyances and slights from her family without coming across as a goody-two-shoes/little-miss-perfect. A solid, great character, who should rank up there with the more famous classic literature heroines. She may not be as spirited as Elizabeth Bennet, charming as Emma Woodhouse, passionate as Marianne Dashwood, intriguing as Jane Eyre, interesting as Bella Wilfer...she's normal, yet not normal. She blends in and yet stands out. The kind of woman every girl should want to imitate in many mannerisms. The kind of girl everybody cannot help but love.
And yet, what about books? I have so many books stacked up in my room, waiting to be read. At the moment, I'm currently reading a sequel to "A Little Princess"...I discovered it in a magazine at the library, and I was interested enough to inter-library loan it...just to see what it was like. I am no fan of sequels written by totally different authors...they tend to annoy me to no end. They can never capture the magic of the original story...and so far, it is the same with this sequel. The author tries so hard to capture the characters the way Frances Hodgson Burnett invented them, but she fails, for the simple reason: she is NOT Frances Hodgson Burnett.
Soooo nice to read an update post of Sam's life! :D
ReplyDelete